I realized just recently that for the past year or more, I have evaluated each day by the actions of others. Mainly by the actions of two little boys! I used to go to bed at night saying that my day was good/bad based on whether or not Brady & Nathan had had cheerful and obedient hearts throughout the day, based on how much time I had to spend disciplining them and whether or not my day was spent repeating their names and the same phrases over and over again, and whether or not “they” were just having a bad day. Through spending time in prayer recently, praying for myself and Brady and Nathan, I realized that I was evaluating my day on something I couldn’t even control. I can’t control their actions, but I can curve them. I can’t control their feelings, but I can help mold their hearts. I can’t make them stop throwing fits, but I can be calm, grounded and speak the truth in love and with kindness. They are toddlers – a breed all their own! My day shouldn’t be “good” or “bad” based on "them". I quickly turned to myself in prayer and began evaluating my actions, my heart and my fits – the things I can control. Now when I go to bed, I can say I had a “great” day when “I” showed my children grace through the strength of Christ, when “I” disciplined with love and kindness in my tone, facial expressions and words, when “I” lovingly responded to their tantrums, when “I” didn’t cave into my own selfishness, when “I” truly took all the situations before me with Brady and Nathan and purposely spent the time leading them closer to a deeper understanding of their loving Heavenly Father. Of course, I fail and still have bad days…but recognizing that "I", not the boys, have control over the tone in our household during the day has helped make a world of difference in being a Mommy! Parenting is so fabulous and I’m so thankful that through it I am being made more like Christ daily!...(actually, by every minute!)
Proverbs 3:1-6
My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight
1 comment:
Amen Christi! Everyday is a good day when we die to ourself and let Christ live through us! Great post from a great wife and mommy.
Post a Comment